Thread: Rails template?

Default Rails template?

Hi,

I just signed up with a link 1 account, and I'm generally pleased so far with the service.

However, I'm running into problems installing rails. Going to the VPS manager, I looked for a Debian + Rails template install option, but I only see what are apparently vanila debian installs. After setting one up, I confirm, yes, there is no rails on the image.

I went through the motions of using aptitude to install it myself, but kept bumping up against:

# gem install rails
    Bulk updating Gem source index
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:261:in `load': failed to allocate memory (NoMemoryError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:261:in `_load'

...memory errors at every turn.

I realized while signing up that the account would be limited, but I assumed I would be able to actually install software on it. Would it really be necessary to upgrade to install rails? Could I switch to Xen somehow, which apparently has virtual memory support?

Thanks,
    Justin

I believe you can switch to Xen by submitting a support ticket.
    You can install things on the OpenVZ VPS but you might have to kill some unused processes.

We do not offer LAMP VPS or Rails VPS templates with the Link-1 plan (this plan will not provide sufficient resources to run a production webserver with the LAMP or Rails frameworks).

You are welcome to switch to Xen, however, I would recommend that you consider a plan which allocates sufficient memory to run and test your applications before you make the switch: you will find that our OpenVZ hosting is actually a better choice for overall performance, whereas Xen is better-suited to one-off tasks which benefit from the use of swap space.

Default Re; RoR VPS

I just signed up for the Link-3 plan in order to start a site using an RoR based CMS, but after multiple tries I cannot get the RoR stack to install. Like the original post, I run into memory errors every time.

I've seen RoR pre-installed VPS images advertised, but can't find an option to install one on my container.

How do I do this? Do I need a Link-4 plan? Will switching to Xen really solve the low-memory errors?
    Last edited by royw; 12-31-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: wild hair

there are a varity of reasons why ror would not install on an openvz. they calculate memory differently than xen so if you already have a default apache/mysql install and you do not tweak the memory usage; you would probably not have enough memory to install ror. xen should help but depending on what cms, you should ask in their forums whether a 256mb vps can adequately serve your content.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink