Thread: pygrub and domU kernel management

Default pygrub and domU kernel management

Are there any plans to use pygrub, or something similar, to allow users to manage the kernel they're running in their VM? I'm running CentOS 5 in my VM and we're now two kernel releases behind. I understand that you don't want to upgrade the dom0 kernel until you're sure its stable, but I would like to stay on top of kernel releases in my VM.

If there are no plans right now to allow user domU kernel management, is it something that could at least be considered?

Thanks.

No, there are no plans at this time to allow users to manage their own kernel.

If enough interest is shown, then it may be considered.

I'm interested in ability to use custom kernels, so you can count one more voice in your considerations

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@VPSlink View Post
    No, there are no plans at this time to allow users to manage their own kernel.
    If enough interest is shown, then it may be considered.
    It would be nice to have it - we're planning to use a custom filesystem (Lustre) to synchronize file storage between servers.

Default Pv-grub

I love VPSLink. But being able to upgrade my own kernel is a killer feature for me. . I gather that Xen 3.3 does a dom0 boot and then domU switchover with pv-grub that's more secure than the py-grub way.

I'm hunting around for VPSs that offer py-grub or pv-grub, but I would be very happy to stay with VPSLink with a pv-grub Xen instance.