Thread: Anyone using Virtual Desktops !!

Tyson Jen Guest

Default Anyone using Virtual Desktops !!

We belong to a company with 50 users who are connected through a LAN network and are looking for a virtual desktop solution that is cheap and easy.

Any solutions would be highly appreciated.

Jeane Kae Guest

First thing, have you ever ran virtual machines, if not, I would recommend finding a vendor (VMWare, Xen, Virtual Iron, etc) and getting comfortable with local desktop vm's. Once you start looking at the server versions, things get a little more complex.

I hope this helps!

First, you might want to define exactly what you mean by virtual desktops. Thin clients and a central server? The ability to remote into their work desktops from home? Multiple virtual windows/spaces on a single physical monitor?

Jack Hall Guest

You need to check out virtual machines before going for servers. I would recommend a "freeware" version from virtualbox for you to learn on. It would really work initially.

Cheap and easy don't usually go into the same sentence:P

The big question is: what do you intend to virtualise? If you are going to just try and virtualise a few dev Linux boxes, you can't really go wrong with Xen or OpenVZ. If you are looking to virtualise all your Windows Servers, go look at something like VMWare ESX (or Vmware Server if you are wanting to go cheap). Check out the VMWare converter as well to aid in the P2V process. Lastly, if you are just wanting to muck around on your own local machine, check out VMware Worksation / Server or Virtual Box.
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.

Jeane Kae Guest

You can try for some virtual machine that can evaluate new software applications and is capable of browsing the web safely. Using such VM on the main machine, would enable to run one or more separate virtual machines.

I hope this helps.

Jack Hall Guest

Right, by doing so, you can safely evaluate new software applications and browse the internet without introducing threats to their work computers from software still in development or from online malware.

You can install and run software applications in VM to evaluate features and functionality without risk of operating system or application compatibility or stability issues with their work computer. Using some complete PC environment, including operating system and applications, get the true end-user experience from each application.

Tyson Jen Guest

That’s true. But also suggest some “complete PC environment, including operating system and applications”, as you said. As far as I have searched, dint found any such comprehensive solution available in the market.

Jeane Kae Guest

Well, you can adopt MokaFive Live PCs with the help of which the Trademark attorneys can safely go online to any web site to stay current on intellectual property issues that may be important to their clients. They can even browse websites anonymously by using a LivePC created with special anonymity capabilities, such as the freely available “Fearless Browser” LivePC from MokaFive.

Visit the website at:
    http-mokafive dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeane Kae View Post
    Well, you can adopt MokaFive Live PCs with the help of which the Trademark attorneys can safely go online to any web site to stay current on intellectual property issues that may be important to their clients. They can even browse websites anonymously by using a LivePC created with special anonymity capabilities, such as the freely available “Fearless Browser” LivePC from MokaFive.
    What a surprisingly complex way to spam. This has proven to be an impressive waste of time for all involved.

Please take your advertisements elsewhere.

(I see that you have already visited the OpenVZ forums and the LinkedIn forums and the Novell forums, et cetera)