Thread: Little help needed.

Question Little help needed.

I don't know if this is the right section or not but I need help:

I can login to my Admin CP, through my.vpslink.com, I've installed: Debian, well actually I'm on that now, installed all but I have this problem the most:

it comes up with:
    Last login: Mon Jul 7 20:27:06 2008 from pool-151-201-152-166.phil.east.verizon.
    net
    Linux frozenage.vps 2.6.18-ovz028stab039.1-smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 24 12:12:48 MSD 200
    7 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    frozenage:~#
    So I do this:

Last login: Mon Jul 7 20:27:06 2008 from pool-151-201-152-166.phil.east.verizon.
    net
    Linux frozenage.vps 2.6.18-ovz028stab039.1-smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 24 12:12:48 MSD 200
    7 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    frozenage:~# login
    frozenage.vps login: root

Login incorrect
    frozenage.vps login:
    But if it's not root, I try "frozenage" and "frozenage.vps" and when it asks for password, I type in my password, but on the screen it doesn't show.. I hit enter, and it says 'Login Incorrect'

Any help?

You are already logged in as the root user - you do not need to enter "login" after connecting.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    You are already logged in as the root user - you do not need to enter "login" after connecting.
    Okay well then how do I upload my files? :s Because it has the command prompt, do I need to type something to do so?

You can use OpenSSH with Linux, WinSCP with Windows, and Cyberduck with Mac OS.

These programs will provide an interface for uploading and downloading files, though you can also get files which are being served on the internet with wget while logged in to your VPS with your SSH client.

So this will let me remotely access, or just upload and download?

You will need to establish access to upload or download files - WinSCP (of those which I am familiar with) does allow for a terminal session to be opened, however, it will open in a separate window (I prefer the PuTTY interface for terminal sessions, though you may want to experiment with both to determine which you prefer).

Note: Forums are going down for two hours in the very near future - we will be back up by 17:00 PST.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    You will need to establish access to upload or download files - WinSCP (of those which I am familiar with) does allow for a terminal session to be opened, however, it will open in a separate window (I prefer the PuTTY interface for terminal sessions, though you may want to experiment with both to determine which you prefer).

Note: Forums are going down for two hours in the very near future - we will be back up by 17:00 PST.

Alright, well I think I've got it too work, I thank you, if I have anymore problems, I'll be back here, well if the forums are not down. Thanks again.