Thread: How to do port tunneling?

Default How to do port tunneling?

Any ideas of how to have it done? What software do you recommend for port tunneling purposes? Is SSH tunneling the same as port tunneling? I wanted to make a tunnel for msn client like GAIM for personal usages.

By the way, I'm new in port tunneling.

There are quite a few approaches you could do, and I'm sure other people will chime in with the best way. I haven't done much port tunneling. You could:

-Setup a proxy or SOCKS server (e.g. Squid)
    -Tunnel over SSH
    -Tunnel over SSL
    -Setup OpenVPN
    I look forward to hearing other suggestions as well.
    Last edited by kelvinn; 08-23-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was wondering if anyone use the SSL Tunnels found in webmin? Does it serve the purpose? I've got no luck with it till now. So anyone knows of how to use it?

I've successfully played around with tunnel over ssh with putty though...

Looks like I answered too quickly. On second thought, I'm almost sure you'll need to use a proxy of some sort.

Another option, which I hesitated to suggest initially, is to just use Tor+Privoxy. However, I don't know what your goals are; but good luck either way!
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.

Default How to do port tunneling?

Simple and short. I'm using HTTP-Tunnel. Everything works except xat.com chat boxes (flash-based chat boxes, for those who don't know). Can I do anything about that?