Thread: Fedora 8 sendmail service

Wink Fedora 8 sendmail service

Hello everyone,

I am trying to setup my PHP to send email with the mail() function. Anytime I call mail() my /var/log/maillog says

Code:
    "stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]"
    I understand this means there is no Mail Transport Agent running as a service, however, I cannot figure out what to do to get sendmail to be a service. Sendmail is located at: /usr/sbin/sendmail

If I try to execute "service sendmail start" it says:

Code:
    sendmail: unrecognized service
    I was trying to install postfix to use that as my MTA instead, but when I try to run "yum install postfix" the process takes a long time and eventually gets killed.

Does anybody have any suggestion as to what I can do to get this working? why is my yum install getting killed? is the server running out of memory?

I have a Fedora 8 Link-1 server and I'm running httpd.

Thanks in advance,
    Oscar.

As mentioned in my recent reply to Can't install anything, you will want to:

• Run cat /proc/user_beancounters (if you are using the OpenVZ platform) to determine where resource allocation issues are being encountered
    • Disable any non-essential services (Apache in particular) and observe the instructions in our Prevent "Cannot Allocate Memory" Errors guide

Please note that Apache is not the preferred webserver for use on the Link-1 plan. I would highly recommend that you consider lighttpd or nginx for improved performance and reliability on the Link-1 plan.

Thanks Dan. Since I need Apache installed I will just upgrade to a plan with more resources and see how it goes.