Thread: Root password reverts after reboot..

Default Root password reverts after reboot..

Not sure whats going on.. I have a Link1 running Ubuntu 8.04, and twice I've gotten the system somewhat bent, such that I decided to reboot it.. Once I did a 'reboot' from ssh, and when the system came back up, my freshly changed root password was unrecognized.. The system had reverted to the original assigned root password.. Thinking this might be something due to the fact Ubuntu is running on a virtual machine, I tried rebooting via the web control panel.. Same old password.. Whats going on??

This issue appears to occur regularly when a VPS is rebooted by our system administrators, however, in working with our system administrators to diagnose the issue last week, I was told that the password reset issue should not occur when the VPS is rebooted from the My.VPSLink.com Server Control Center.

To confirm: Your VPS root password was reset when "reboot" was issued via the console and it was reverted a second time when rebooting via the My.VPSLink.com "Reboot" option?

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    This issue appears to occur regularly when a VPS is rebooted by our system administrators, however, in working with our system administrators to diagnose the issue last week, I was told that the password reset issue should not occur when the VPS is rebooted from the My.VPSLink.com Server Control Center.

To confirm: Your VPS root password was reset when "reboot" was issued via the console and it was reverted a second time when rebooting via the My.VPSLink.com "Reboot" option?
    That is correct.. One reboot was done via ssh/console and the
    second was done thru the web control center.. Haven't rebooted
    since the second time..

Thanks
    Dave Frandin

As mentioned in a more recent post regarding Xen root password reversions, we are working with the hyperVM developers to address this issue.

Thank you for the update..

Dave

Had to reboot again the other day.. Looks like you guys fixed the root password revert issue.... Thanks!!

Dave

First poster:

nobody realized this but there could be a second "root password" built into the control center for the hypervisor shell.

This seems to be my problem, the documentation for the control center explains: "to reset your root password, click this img blah blah"

and has a pic of the button you press.

I looked everywhere in the "control center" but it is not.

I want to reset mine because i saw someone or some thing playing back some things that were colliding with my shell session, a session established with the hypervisor shell.

The main reason I like XEN is because of the lower level view, but FFS let me change the password.

@MattMiller: Addressed in your Stop the madnessssss thread.