Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error When trying to do Yum Update

Default Error When trying to do Yum Update

This is my first time to subscribe in a VPS hosting so please bear with me as I am a newbie.

After I logged in on my VPS via SSH is tried to invoke

Code:
    yum update
    and I got this error:
    Code:
    [root@phpar ~]# yum update
    Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
     * base: mirror.vpslink.com
     * updates: mirror.vpslink.com
     * addons: mirror.vpslink.com
     * extras: mirror.vpslink.com
    Excluding Packages in global exclude list
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
        yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 105, in main
        result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 289, in doCommands
        self._getTs()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 85, in _getTs
        self._getTsInfo()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 91, in _getTsInfo
        self._tsInfo.setDatabases(self.rpmdb, self.pkgSack)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 537, in <lambda>
        pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 395, in _getSacks
        self.excludePackages()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 689, in excludePackages
        exactmatch, matched, unmatched = \
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packages.py", line 82, in parsePackages
        pkgdict = buildPkgRefDict(pkgs)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packages.py", line 70, in buildPkgRefDict
        pkgdict[item] = []
    MemoryError
    why? It's also the same when I try to install vim and other packages. Please help.

What Link are you on? Xen or OpenVZ?
    Looks like your running out of memory.

Edit:
    You might also want to remove the rpmforge repo and see if that helps.
    Last edited by The Universes; 10-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

i think your server need to reinstall
    but you can try this

PHP Code:
    yum clean all 
    and this

PHP Code:
    rm -/var/lib/rpm/__
    chattr --/var/lib/rpm 
    rpm 
    --rebuilddb 
    and try agien
    PHP Code:
    yum -y update 
    if give you the Same error you must make reinstall

Hello everyone,

new to VPS link... Installed CentOS 5 and ran into this same problem. Ran through all of the steps mentioned and followed the LAMP routines listed on the wiki with no luck. Guess it's down to installing things old school I guess. Maybe this is a Cent issue with the low end VPS plan? Only need httpd/ssh so 64Mb should suffice for the cost but this isn't enough for apps like yum on the OpenVZ setup?

Quote Originally Posted by lolo2kx View Post
    Hello everyone,

new to VPS link... Installed CentOS 5 and ran into this same problem. Ran through all of the steps mentioned and followed the LAMP routines listed on the wiki with no luck. Guess it's down to installing things old school I guess. Maybe this is a Cent issue with the low end VPS plan? Only need httpd/ssh so 64Mb should suffice for the cost but this isn't enough for apps like yum on the OpenVZ setup?
    It should be enough to install apps, but I think you will literally need to turn everything in the background off. 64MB is really not enough to run Apache if you have a fair amount of concurrent users, even for static files. Your much better off trying Lighttpd (use rpmforge). I've had a Link-1 before, albeit a Xen Link-1 and that worked ok for running Lighttpd w/ php-fcgi and MySQL, albeit it was very crampt. Wouldn't recommend it if you have any real traffic.

yum clean all
    Then

yum -y update
    I am assuming small available memory could be the culprit for some. However, my Link-4 (512MB) returns the same error unless the clean command is given.

Quote Originally Posted by packetloss451 View Post
    Then

I am assuming small available memory could be the culprit for some. However, my Link-4 (512MB) returns the same error unless the clean command is given.
    Thats not related to RAM in particular, it just seems to be a general bug.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    Thats not related to RAM in particular, it just seems to be a general bug.
    That is pretty much were I was going with my post...just giving an example of a machine with ample memory for the task returning the same error.

I get the same error. I have Link-4 with a CentOS 5.3 LAMP build. Can this problem be eliminated by installing CentOS 5.4?

Code:
    #yum clean all
    #yum update
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Determining fastest mirrors
    base                                                                        | 2.1 kB     00:00     
    primary.sqlite.bz2                                                          | 1.6 MB     00:00     
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
        yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 229, in user_main
        errcode = main(args)
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 104, in main
        result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 339, in doCommands
        self._getTs(needTsRemove)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 101, in _getTs
        self._getTsInfo(remove_only)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 112, in _getTsInfo
        pkgSack = self.pkgSack
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 591, in <lambda>
        pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 434, in _getSacks
        self.repos.populateSack(which=repos)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 251, in populateSack
        sack.populate(repo, mdtype, callback, cacheonly)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 159, in populate
        if self._check_db_version(repo, mydbtype):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 216, in _check_db_version
        return repo._check_db_version(mdtype)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 966, in _check_db_version
        repoXML = self.repoXML
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1124, in <lambda>
        repoXML = property(fget=lambda self: self._getRepoXML(),
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1116, in _getRepoXML
        self._loadRepoXML(text=self)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1106, in _loadRepoXML
        return self._groupLoadRepoXML(text, ["primary"])
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1091, in _groupLoadRepoXML
        self._commonRetrieveDataMD(mdtypes)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1068, in _commonRetrieveDataMD
        misc.bunzipFile(dl_local, local)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/misc.py", line 518, in bunzipFile
        data = s_fn.read(1024000)
    MemoryError

SOLUTION FOUND - Problem was lack of system memory resources.

This problem was caused by a lack of RAM (system memory resources). In my case mysqld was using too much memory based upon the my.cnf settings allocating too much memory. innodb_buffer_pool_size and key_buffer were both set too high.

The lack of available physical memory was also causing fork and exec errors as well.

The Solution was to free up system memory resources. In this case, by setting the configuration values for mysqld to use less memory and then restart mysqld. See if you have any daemons using too much memory similar to how I had mysqld.
    Last edited by justinquick; 11-25-2009 at 02:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast