Thread: dovecot on CentOS/Debian

Default dovecot on CentOS/Debian

Is anyone running dovecot successfully under their OpenVZ or even Xen VPS? I wouldn't mind switching to Xen if it was an OpenVZ problem.

Here is some more info on the problem I'm running into:

Since I can't post URLs... search for the subject
    "(imap) killed with signal 9 on Linux/OpenVZ VPS" in the Jan 2009 dovecot mailing list archives

What level plan are you on? It looks like you're running out of RAM. You might also check /proc/user_beancounters, specifically the "failcnt" column for "privvmpages"

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
    What level plan are you on? It looks like you're running out of RAM. You might also check /proc/user_beancounters, specifically the "failcnt" column for "privvmpages"
    3. It wasn't a matter of running out of memory. I switched over to Xen and the problem no longer exists. Looks like VPS Link + OpenVZ (2.6.18-ovz028stab039.1-smp) + dovecot (any version) is not an option.

It's an option, but you do need a bigger VPS plan to pull it off. Really you need one anyways, since you don't want to be constantly swapping, but you can get away with a smaller plan on Xen thanks to swap if you're OK with the performance issues.

I'm running Dovecot on my VPS (Link-4), but I've been running it for ages (when I had less than a Link-4). Looking at my highly unscientific analysis, it seems to be using about 20MB of mem (VIRT).
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.