Thread: Stop the madnessssss

If your terminal's compromised, you're pretty well screwed regardless I'd say. Sure, resetting the password or letting you reset it via console would be better, but even if it weren't possible to retrieve the password a compromised terminal has many other ways to lead to a compromised server.

Giving access to the console without a password (other than the CP password) is somewhat necessary and useful, I'd say. The whole point is for it to let you in even if something's FUBAR'd or you're locked out.

To summarize the circus.gif graphic:

• The My.VPSLink.com Control Center does not allow the primary account contact e-mail to be changed (this is a security feature intended to ensure that we are able to establish the identity of the actual account owner), however, our billing and support staff will gladly assist you in changing the primary account contact e-mail if you should choose to do so.
    • The My.VPSLink.com Control Center does not enumerate the arbitrary password restrictions which will be applied when changing your My.VPSLink.com Control Center password (I will remove these restrictions where possible and enumerate the remaining restrictions)
    • The Xen virtual console allows the user root access (this is the intended functionality of the virtual console)
    • There is no existing functionality to change the virtual console password

I can appreciate how aggravating this situation can be and I am sorry that our present control panel is lacking in so many respects when it comes to Xen password management. (The developers responsible for the present control panel are no longer with the company, if that is any consolation)

We will be entering the beta testing period for our new control center within a week - while Xen virtual console and root password management will not be a part of our initial beta, however, I have spoken with our developers and we would like to provide the option to change the root password for the VPS and the virtual console password simultaneously in future control center releases.

In the meantime, if you wish to change your virtual console password, you are welcome to make arrangements with VPSLink support by temporarily storing a copy of the password which you would like to use in a secure location on your VPS.

(The developers responsible for the present control panel are no longer with the company, if that is any consolation)

I don't know if they should have been let go, maybe just slapped with a technical book.

I appreciate immensely the interest and effort you are making for this area.

One thing I would do besides everything you said, is disambiguate the distinction between the access credentials through out the site with more appropriate terminology. I appreciate the core ideas' common names (like "root password"), but in different contexts they can cause a mess.

"The Xen virtual console allows the user root access (this is the intended functionality of the virtual console)"

I appreciate this feature immensely. One of the reasons I tried VPSlink in the first place.

The My.VPSLink.com Control Center will now accept control center passwords from 8-64 characters and the alphanumeric character restriction has been removed.

Update: Also, I will take a look at our signup e-mail to ensure that the distinction between the root password and the virtual console password is established for all Xen signups.

Thanks DanL