Thread: Xen console access not working?

Default Xen console access not working?

Today I have been trying to access the virtual console on my xen-based servers by clicking on the console link, with no joy. The Java applet starts, and then after a few seconds it says that the connection times out. Remote access works fine, so it isn't the applet.

Is this a known problem with the new control panel? Or is there something special I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles Haley
    www.haleys.eu/chaley

I can confirm that I have the same problem in the new control panel, but console access works fine in the old one.

It appears as though there may be a hard-coded reference to one of our test servers in the code base - our developers should have this fixed in the near future.

So there is supposed to be a console to access a VM (in case, say, you firewall yourself off by accident), right?

I have the same problem but was told in a ticket that it wasn't working because I was trying to access the hardware node instead of the VM. Isn't that the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by mleinart View Post
    So there is supposed to be a console to access a VM (in case, say, you firewall yourself off by accident), right?
    That is correct - your console password should be set at the time your package is created.

The console password will not be changed unless you contact our support department to request that it be changed.

Should you reinstall the operating system on your VPS, your root password on the VPS will be reverted to the console password.

Quote Originally Posted by mleinart View Post
    I have the same problem but was told in a ticket that it wasn't working because I was trying to access the hardware node instead of the VM. Isn't that the idea?
    You will need to use a numeric username ending in "vm" with your Xen console password to access the Xen console.

Unfortunately, it appears as though there may be an issue with Xen console authentication on newly-provisioned accounts and on accounts with recent operating system template reinstallations.

Our developers are presently looking into this issue. In the meantime, any issues with Xen console authentication should be referred directly to our support team.

I also can't get in using the, "numeric user name ending with vm". Has this been fixed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tcumming View Post
    I also can't get in using the, "numeric user name ending with vm". Has this been fixed yet?
    Please send me a private message with your support ticket number - I'll follow up with our support department if you are awaiting a reply from them.