Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible to store and install complete machine image?

Default possible to store and install complete machine image?

Didn't find this on the forums...

Is it possible to install, set up, then save the VPS image somehow so I can more quickly reprovision new VPS's by just using that install image?

Thx...

I second this request. It would be very nice to be able to boot the equivalent of a live CD so that I can restore a catastrophic backup. I want to be able to do an mkfs on my disk, then restore (over the net) the backup. As it is, I must rebuild from a template, which means that I must carefully clean the backup to not overwrite any existing files, even if they have the same content. This is difficult to get 100% right. Either files are overwritten causing the system to halt, or files are not restored.
    Charles Haley
    www.haleys.eu/chaley

We're hoping to add this feature in the next 60 days or so. Finishing up control panel interfaces, and then a few new goodies for everyone! Excellent suggestion!

Will this feature act like a backup image that I can restore in case of disaster?

I second this.

Would love to have the ability to run an exact clone of my VPS locally, if possible.

This idea gets my vote as well. I would feel a lot more comfortable doing updates and anything else with potential to cause downtime if I could backup and restore in this fashion.

Any updates on the status of this control panel update? I would also love to be able to backup and restore things along these lines.

Still need to stage a sit-down with our development team to work out our development schedule - keep an eye on the VPSLink Blog for updates as we get a timeframe figured out.

This feature also gets my vote, in case I haven't indicated that I want this feature before

Something like this VPS host offers:
    Web24.com.au - VPS Backup Services

would be good...

I believe the product they use may be provided by Acronis. Or it may be part of their Parallels suite, which I suspect is similar to VPSLink/Spry's setup. I'm not sure. Either way, there may be an off-the-shelf solution here which may make the deployment of this service within VPSLink quicker/easier.

This is a feature on our road map. It will work in conjunction with the backup system, so you'd create your VPS as you could like it to be, and click "backup." From the restore console, you'd be able to restore your current VPS to that snapshot, or copy that backup to another VPS (aka, a clone feature). We do not have a timeframe for completion as there are other projects in the queue ahead of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast