Thread: Can't login to WHM - invalid licence (thanks VPSLink Support...)

Unhappy Can't login to WHM - invalid licence (thanks VPSLink Support...)

[WARNING: NARRATIVE-STYLE POSTING]
    I changed the hostname of my WHM-managed VPS, after asking VPSLink support whether this would invalidate the WHM licence. Their exact words -
    "You may change the hostname without affecting the cPanel license, as it is issued according to the primary IP address of your VPS."

So I went ahead and changed it, and rebooted the VPS via the Control Center. Lo and behold - invalid licence. No more WHM.

So I followed the instructions on the Invalid licence page - verified the licence at the CPanel licence validation page (licence OK), I checked that the right ports were open, ran /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt as root via SSH ... and then the server tells me that dig has failed.

I then looked at CPanel's support page, which asked me to talk to the people who sold me the licence. So I did, and of course was told "VPSLink is an unmanaged service blah blah".. So now I'm stuck in an infinite loop, where no one seems to be able to help.

So I did a bit more research - and came across a forum post over at Spry, where Lyle@Spry tells us:

"cPanel VPS administrators take note... Changing your servers hostname WILL invalidate your cPanel license!* (The hostname will also change back to what Spry set it to on next reboot anyway, so don't change the hostname yourself.)" [*the VPSLink VPS, unlike the Spry ones, allow you to modify the hostname from the control center]

Talk about the left hand not knowing etc...

Oh, and another few things - NDS has failed on the VPS, so I can't get the resolvers working and the VPS isn't appearing as a FQDN. I was trying to fix these problems using WHM when this whole malarkey took place.

Can anyone offer some assistance?
    Last edited by blueplanet; 04-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Hi blueplanet, i had the same problem but i solve with this:
    1)Login to server via SSH as root.
    Run the following command to see your actual hostname:
    hostname
    2) Change the name of that hostname (servername.domain.com) to a hostname you desired based on your domain name.
    hostname yourserver.domain.com
    3) Run the following command to update cPanel license information to avoid invalid cPanel license error:
    /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt

Thanks for replying grest.

Unfortunately, I had no difficulty changing my hostname - I think my difficulties stem from a named service failure that I can't pinpoint the reasons for. So I can't run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt, because the server isn't serving up any zone information.

Without the VPS serving up DNS info, it is dead as a dodo. I'm curious (a) to find out if the licence invalidation affected the named service and of course (b) get both named and WHM back up and running so I can get on with my life!

So thanks anyway.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blueplanet View Post
    Without the VPS serving up DNS info, it is dead as a dodo. I'm curious (a) to find out if the licence invalidation affected the named service and of course (b) get both named and WHM back up and running so I can get on with my life!
    Here are the options I would consider in your situation:
    1. Stop Using WHM/CPanel... (you'll thank me later)
    2. Add DNS Records using the VPSlink CP, attempt updating Cpanel license again once propagation has taken place.
    3. If that doesn't resolve the issue, put in a ticket with a link to the forum post at Spry and demand VPSlink resolve the issue (if what you said they told you is true).

Bottom line, with 8 years of experience, it's my firm belief that you just can't trust a GUI - web-based or otherwise..

edit: Just out of curiosity, which member of the support staff told you:
    Quote Originally Posted by VPSlink
    "VPSLink is an unmanaged service blah blah"
    ?
    -Guy
    Last edited by GuyPatterson; 04-02-2009 at 05:08 PM.

I changed the hostname of my WHM-managed VPS, after asking VPSLink support whether this would invalidate the WHM licence. Their exact words - "You may change the hostname without affecting the cPanel license, as it is issued according to the primary IP address of your VPS."
    Our technicians have tested a change of hostname on a development cPanel VPS running on the VPSLink network to confirm that hostname changes will not affect the WHM license.

In light of the confusion regarding this issue and as a courtesy in the interest of ensuring that you have a working configuration at this time, one of our technicians investigated the status of WHM / cPanel on your VPS and reported that the issue appears to be resolved at this time. If you continue to experience this issue, please tell us how we can reproduce it.

I then looked at CPanel's support page, which asked me to talk to the people who sold me the licence. So I did, and of course was told "VPSLink is an unmanaged service blah blah".. So now I'm stuck in an infinite loop, where no one seems to be able to help.
    I have reviewed your ticket history with us - including the ticket in which you reported an issue with your license. Our technician should have reported back regarding the validity of your license (which is the extent to which we would be able to investigate this issue on your behalf), however, as the ticket went on to describe DNS resolution errors, our technician's reply was focused solely on the fact that the errors which were reported were (a) not related to your WHM/cPanel license and (b) not supported by VPSLink support.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of a direct reply to your initial inquiry in that ticket - I have followed up with our support staff to confirm that your WHM / cPanel license is valid as reported by cPanel in our system.

So I did a bit more research - and came across a forum post over at Spry, where Lyle@Spry tells us ...
    This advice was presented in 2007 and no longer reflects the operation of the WHM / cPanel software. I have posted an advisory regarding the present accuracy of the statements on that thread.

Oh, and another few things - NDS has failed on the VPS, so I can't get the resolvers working and the VPS isn't appearing as a FQDN. I was trying to fix these problems using WHM when this whole malarkey took place.
    The most likely cause for both the Invalid License error which you described and this DNS resolution issue is an error with your /etc/resolv.conf configuration.

Guy, in response...

1. I'd love to find an alternative to using WHM/CPanel, but the fact is my clients are familiar with the CPanel interface and don't want to change. I simply don't have the time to go through all the other options and fiddle around with new GUIs.

2. Ideally, I'd like to be able to manage all DNS entries through the VPSLink control centre - I could then switch DNS management off in WHM and save a bucketload of RAM. But unfortunately it doesn't work well at present - I couldn't add new domains (message from support staff last week "We are currently experiencing issues with our control panel. We can add domains to the system for you, but currently all customers are having issues adding new domains."). I'd prefer to be able to do all of this myself, so I haven't opted for this option.

3. I've almost solved my issue - I was using NSD (misspelt in my initial post) as my NS daemon via WHM, but it wasn't reading my BIND config files properly for some reason. I turned it off and turned BIND back on and I was able to access WHM again.

I have another issue now, but I'll make that the subject of a new post. In answer to your last question, it was Jayan who sent me the message in question - verbatim: "As VPSlink is an unmanaged service, we are only able to assist you with basic connectivity issues (ssh connectivity). Please consult OS documentation for more information."

Default Dan- in reply

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    Our technicians have tested a change of hostname on a development cPanel VPS running on the VPSLink network to confirm that hostname changes will not affect the WHM license.
    Thanks Dan. As noted above, NSD was the root of the problem. I'm not entirely sure yet why it wasn't working, but in any case it wasn't reading the BIND config files like it was supposed to.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of a direct reply to your initial inquiry in that ticket - I have followed up with our support staff to confirm that your WHM / cPanel license is valid as reported by cPanel in our system.
    Apology accepted graciously. I recently moved over from Spry, and I'm very happy to note that a few small quibbles aside, VPSLink's support is just as courteous and efficient.

The most likely cause for both the Invalid License error which you described and this DNS resolution issue is an error with your /etc/resolv.conf configuration.
    Are you 100% positive about this? I thought that this particular file less important than /etc/nameserverips? I've been using the OpenDNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Are you 100% positive about this? I thought that this particular file less important than /etc/nameserverips? I've been using the OpenDNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf.
    I could have been a bit clearer - I was suggesting that the issue stemmed from a problem with DNS name to address resolution (/etc/resolv.conf - and/or the DNS servers which it references - will be the most likely culprit where this behavior is encountered).

If you plan to use the OpenDNS servers rather than running recursive DNS queries against BIND (or NSD if you switch back to it) I would recommend that you double-check your /etc/resolv.conf configuration (/etc/nameserverips manages which IP addresses WHM / cPanel assigns to the DNS server it is managing - this setting does not affect which servers your VPS queries for information).

The behavior which you described (and the resolution: switching back to BIND) would not occur if OpenDNS were working properly to provide name to address resolution on your VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    If you plan to use the OpenDNS servers rather than running recursive DNS queries against BIND (or NSD if you switch back to it) I would recommend that you double-check your /etc/resolv.conf configuration (/etc/nameserverips ...
    The behavior which you described (and the resolution: switching back to BIND) would not occur if OpenDNS were working properly to provide name to address resolution on your VPS.
    I'm still experiencing some nameserver problems, but I suspect that these might involve a corrupt WHM install. I've posted a new message to the WHM forum about this.
    I've changed the /etc/resolv.conf IP addresses back to those of my private nameservers. I'll wait and see if this fixes my other problems.

Resolved!
    Looks like an extra character in /etc/wwwacct.conf - was "NS1" but should have been "NS". All working now. Thanks to all who responded.