Thread: Setup web based server for php, mysql etc

Default Setup web based server for php, mysql etc

I only need my vps for one website, which acts as a host. The host is a javascript host, and although I've had plenty of developer coding experience, I have extremely little in server administration.

I need to know how to set up my server to display my website from my domain. The domain is hosted with 1and1, and I'll point the primary and secondary name servers to ns1.vpslink.com and ns2.vpslink.com.

A records are already pointing to my server in the domain administration for vpslink.

My sql database is on another server for now.

I'm running CentOS 5.2 currently on my vps.

It sounds as though you have already had an opportunity to review the VPSLink Wiki, however, here is a quick checklist to confirm a working VPS configuration and ensure that you have everything you need to host a basic site:

• Install the webserver daemon which you plan to use to host your site on your VPS before directing traffic to your VPS (popular webservers for Link-1 and Link-2 plans include lighttpd and nginx)
    • Review the VPSLink DNS guide if you plan to use our nameservers to provide name to address resolution for your domain (if you are running a Link-1 or Link-2 to host a site this will be your best option)
    • Configure your domain to point to the VPSLink nameservers at your registrar (DNS information may take 24-48 hours to propagate: you can check whether your changes have taken effect with your registrar by running whois yourdomain.com from your VPS)

I would also highly recommend the CentOS 5 Documentation and our Linux Security Best Practices guide if you are new to server administration.

Default Setting the correct domain.tld?

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is newbie issue but I'm having a bit of trouble getting email working from my Link3 account. I've got the Fedora 9 LAMP, and when I set up mail I seem to be missing the ".com" or tld. Tried a couple of different things and mail seems to go locally but not outside of the box. My hostname comes out as hostname.vps which is possibly the problem, or related to the problem. The dnsdomainname is showing up as vps. How, or rather should I change that to .com?

wow, looks like people do not use this forum much... nobody every answered your question?

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMud View Post
    wow, looks like people do not use this forum much... nobody every answered your question?
    Perhaps it was because he totally hijacked the original poster's thread ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson View Post
    Perhaps it was because he totally hijacked the original poster's thread ... ?
    whoops... kind of like me sorry about that. I actually found out my answers by reading some other posts on here.