Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to build a mail server into link 1 vps(quick and simple)

Default how to build a mail server into link 1 vps(quick and simple)

I want to build a mail server in my vps account
    what would you advise? I want the simplest and easiest way to do it.

What distro are you using? Which mail server would you prefer? (postfix, smail, etc) Do you need webmail? Do you need relaying? POP3? IMAP? Hard to respond without knowing what you need.

I'm in the same boat, just wanting basic email services on this VPS. I was surprised to find it not set up - every Unix-ish box I've ever turned on in the past had sendmail already up and running; just make a user account and it's in business.

All I need is to host a couple mailboxes, have the server receive SMTP mail, and deliver it to a POP client when requested. Right now I'm on a link-3 CentOS VPS.

I used Postfix on link1 using the tutorial from guvnr (google it)

i need assistance setting up a POSTFIX mail server as well, with IMAP and POP support.

I used the following tutorial: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix

I followed the posters suggestion above to search for 'guvnr' on google, but the tutorial that comes up requires a $15 payment.

My setup is as follows: Link 4, OpenVZ, ubuntu-8.04-i386-LAMP

As said above, I already used the Ubuntu Postfix tutorial. I ran into no errors or notices except for the one they mention in the article.

After setting up the server via the tutorial, I attempted to connect via a user i made on the server before setting up the mail server. For the purposes of this post, I will say the username and password are user/pass.

I get an error saying that the client cannot make an SSL connection, and asks if I would like to connect without SSL. I say yes to that, and it still won't connect.

I think it may have something to do with my rDNS entries in the VPSLink control panel, but I am at a loss as to how to set it up now that the control panel is different from the last time I logged in. Also, the domain names entered into the rDNS window for some reason changed to ###.###.###.###.in-addr.arpa. addresses.

Assistance would be much appreciated. I am planning on consolidating all of my websites onto my Link-4 account so I can save money in the long run, but getting this email server working is the most important part.

just to post a quick progress update. I have sent mail TO the server via my iPhone, my GMail account, as well as locally via a tutorial listed on this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...asicSetupHowto

in all three cases, the MailDir in the /home/USER folder does in fact show that the mail was properly sent.

at least I know that the server is working for incoming mail. next up is to see if the server can send mail out. after that, figure out why I cannot connect via an external client.

after a little more hammering away, and getting a more complete list of apt-get repositories, I was able to install courier-pop and -imap.

I am able to connect to the server but there are a few snags.

Using Apple's Mail.app, I set up my client side account. I enter the username, password, email address, and server address. Mail.app reports that it cannot make a secure connection to the server, but it CAN make a non-secure one. Not the best outcome, but at least it is connecting. One thing at a time

It then prompted me to set up the info for the outgoing server. I enterted in the URL and it prompted me with the MacOSX "This Certificate cannot be validated... this server may be trying to pretend they are such-and-such.com".

I know the certificate warning isn't an issue at this moment (after all I am still getting things set up), and I am assuming that I will need to buy a certificate via a company like GoDaddy to clear away any issues. However, its the Incoming mail server not letting me connect via SSL that is bugging me.

Any thoughts to help prod me in the right direction?

hrm. for ubuntu vps you should generally got to the ubuntu forum. Think most people here use centos or debian.

However have you gone through https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...asicSetupHowto
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

following YET ANOTHER TUTORIAL, I installed

courier-imap-ssl
    courier-pop-ssl

I still get the self-signed warning about the certificate, which again, isn't a problem since I am not going for validation at this moment, only making sure it works.

However, I also still get the "cannot send password securely", and then the warning about how I can still use the server if I send the password and such in the clear, but it just won't be secure.

I know it has got to be something simple, just like when programming in javascript and you forget to add a semi-colon.

Quote Originally Posted by macharborguy View Post
    However, I also still get the "cannot send password securely", and then the warning about how I can still use the server if I send the password and such in the clear, but it just won't be secure.
    • Which e-mail client are you using?
    • Is there a particular error code with this message?

It sounds as though your local mail client is rejecting the self-signed SSL certificate as a "secure" means of sending password information and defaulting to cleartext (despite the fact that a self-signed certificate exists).

I would recommend testing with another client, if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast