Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to build a mail server into link 1 vps(quick and simple)

I get the error in both the iPhone and Mail.app mail clients.

I just downloaded Thunderbird, and while I do not prefer it as a mail client, I was happy to see that it would actually let me look at the certificate in question.

It appears that the certificate that I created upon install of Postfix was replaced by a generic default one created by Courier, so rather than using the actual domain name, it uses "localhost" instead.

Any thoughts, based on those tutorials I posted, on how to swap one certificate for another? so close, sooooo close to a fix.

The iPhone Mail app says "Secure Connection Failed: The certificate for "email@address.com" may not be valid. [Cancel] [Continue]

Mail.app says "Verify Certificate" "Mail can't verify the identity of "address.com"" The certificate for this server was signed by an unknown certifying authority. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be... blah blah blah.

ThunderBird says "Could not verify this cert for unknown reasons."
    Issued To: Common name (CN) localhost
    Orginization (O) Courier Mail Server
    Org Unit (OU) Automatically-generated IMAP SSL Key

Issued By
    Common Name (CN) localhost
    Org (O) Courier Mail Server
    Org Unit (OU) Automatically-generated IMAP SSL Key
    Last edited by macharborguy; 02-22-2010 at 08:14 PM.

okay, I think I got it figured out. Apparently, Mail.app on the Mac normally rejects self-signed SSL certificates. Thunderbird reports that the connection is secure, and shows that my cert is now working properly.

for now I know that the servers are mine, so the self-signed works. eventually I will be getting a full SSL cert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12