Thread: CRITICAL! Root Password Issues

Default CRITICAL! Root Password Issues

Ok, I am quite alarmed at this:

I have a VPS (and an admin can look up and see how it was provisioned, it is the newest one of mine), and I was entering the root password using SSH and left a letter off of the end. I was like... oh I'll have to retype the password. Nope, it let me in. So I was curious. I left off 2, then 3, then 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and finally 10 characters off of my password, and it still worked. Amazing!

My password is 18 characters long, I only had to use the first 8 of them to log in. I think that's a bit insecure!

~# passwd
    THE PASSWORD YOU WANT
    THE PASSWORD YOU WANT
    ~# echo done!

Please see the Password Changes from My.VPSLink.com Use 8 Character Password Length document added to the VPSLink Wiki for instructions to switch from DES-based password hashing to MD5 hashing.

You might also want to setup pub/priv rsa key-pairs for authentication. This way you need a certificate and a password to auth :]

Be careful though, you could lock yourself out of your VPS. make sure you backup your keys to a usb-stick or something. My watch has 2gb usb built in, so I can get to my server from almost anywhere if necessary.

-Guy

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson View Post
    My watch has 2gb usb built in, so I can get to my server from almost anywhere if necessary.
    A watch with a hidden 2 GB USB stick?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson
    "The name is Patterson, Guy Patterson."

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    A watch with a hidden 2 GB USB stick?
    HAHAHA yep